Friday, May 3, 2013

How to sight in your gun with 5 SHOTS!!!

Here's a confession I have to make. I hate shooting from a bench. It's so boring and it beats up your shoulder after a long day of shooting, and it has only a small improvement in marksmanship capability.

So when I shoot, I like to have fun and to be able to aim down sight and shoot something with my sight being on point. With that in mind, I'm always trying to find easy and quick ways to sight in my scopes or red dots. So far this is the best way I know of:

First, bore-sight the rifle to ensure you're either on the paper or pretty close.

Then, head to the range with a another person. You'll need them to hold the rifle absolutely steady for this exercise.

Center the cross-hair on the target and fire a round down range. Assuming you are on the paper, there will be a POI (Point Of Impact) in the target.

Here's where your friend comes into play. Re-center the cross-hair on the target, and while your friend holds it completely steady, use the adjustment knobs on your scope or red dot to move the cross-hair from the center of the target to the center of your POI.

Then fire a second shot and if everything goes smoothly, and if you followed these steps correctly, your POI should be nearly centered on the target. You're almost sighted in already and only 2 shots have been fired. All that's left is minor tweaks and 3 shots should take care of that.

Sure as hell beats buying hundreds of rounds and walking up to the target and then adjusting.

No comments:

Post a Comment